The circuit-breaker panel is a critical part of your home's electrical system. This device is designed to stop the flow of electricity when it surpasses the design limits of the wiring. Unfortunately, a circuit-breaker panel can encounter problems that will require it to be replaced, and new homeowners should be aware of three warning signs that indicate it may be necessary to replace the breaker panel as soon as possible.
Smoke or Burning Smells
One of the more serious warning signs that your breaker panel is needing to be replaced will be if it starts to produce smoke and burning odors. This can occur when the insulation on the wiring starts to combust. Eventually, this can produce a devastating fire that may destroy your home and present a life-threatening danger to anyone inside. Due to the severity of these risks, you should contact an emergency electrician as soon as possible if you notice these odors.
Humming noises coming from the breaker panel can indicate a serious imbalance in the flow of electricity. Eventually, these imbalances can degrade the insulation around the wiring. This can lead to electricity arcing to nearby flammable materials, which will result in a fire starting. Depending on the severity of the damage, it may be possible for an electrician to simply replace the damaged wiring from the unit, but this will not be possible if the breaker panel has suffered extensive damage from the electrical imbalances.
Breakers That Constantly Flip to the Off Position
You may eventually notice that your breakers are regularly switching to the "off" position. When this occurs repeatedly, it can expose your electronic devices to a risk of damage from electrical surges. There can be a number of different causes for this type of problem to emerge. It can be caused by faulty connections between the electrical wiring and the breaker panel. When the problem stems from this issue, it may be possible for the damage to be repaired by tightening the connections between the wiring and the breaker panel.
However, if the issue is stemming from damage to the internal components of the breaker panel, it may be necessary to replace the entire unit to prevent these issues from returning in the future. This type of damage can occur when a powerful electrical surge passes through the system, as it can actually melt some of the internal components of the breaker panel.
Talk to a company such as Pearson Electric, Inc. for a personalized assessment.